Happiness doesn’t come easy, it’s an everyday task. From the moment you wake up to the moment you lay your head down to rest you have to choose to be happy. I’ve tried for so many years to get happiness from other people not knowing that if those people left they would take their happiness with them. Then there was trying to get fulfillment from material things. I think trying to find happiness in material things is the worst kind of disappointment. Imagine spending so much money on a gadget hoping it will miraculously change your life and make you feel happy only for it to be just that, a new gadget in your life and less money in the bank for you…
Years later, happiness comes to me naturally. I do have my bad days just like everyone else. Each day I make it a habit to do things to keep positive vibes in my life. Here’s my tried and tested list.
- I take on Monday’s by the horn. It used to be the worst day of the week for me but ever since I changed my perspective where life is concerned I simply can’t wait for a new week. I always have a to-do-list that I have to cross, new digital marketing skills I need to learn and try out and lots of content to read through and perhaps blog about. My life is exciting, I’m doing things that nurture my creative side.
- I speak to my daughter over the phone every single day. Hearing from each day is a sure way to add sunshine to any cloudy day. She’s packed with new stories and adventures there’s never a dull conversation between us.
- I exercise 4 to 5 times a week and when I’m being an eager beaver I exercise twice a day. The feel good hormones I get from that are priceless.
- I dance. Boy do I love dancing or do I love dancing. My favourite genre is Dancehall. I listen to almost everything else but Dancehall takes me to a very happy place. If my bedroom mirror could talk it would tell you all the moves I can put down when I’m in a musical mood.
- I listen to audio books. There are so many to mention but my favourite one has to be The Powerof Intention by Dr Wayne Dyer, The Power of Intention. You should get your hands on it, your mindset will shift for the better.
- I go out with my friends occasionally and party on. My favourite outings are when I’m out with one of my few close girl friends. All work and no play is not good for anyone. Sometime in November last year I had the pleasure of being on the panel of this very vibrant festival. Women, Wine & Words was a dream, I loved every moment of it.
- I blog. I thoroughly enjoy it and I bump into interesting reads every day. It’s a different and educative hobby. I still can’t believe I’ve been blogging for all these years. It’s the one thing that has become a part of me. I’m always looking for new ways to perfect the art.
- I make sure I keep a smile on my face. I read somewhere that, “Your day will go the way your corners of your mouth turn.”
- When a client gives me a hard time at work, I tell myself they probably have their own personal issues that they are going through and don’t take it to heart. We’re living in a difficult economic situation and it’s easy for someone to take out their emotions on you.
- I surround myself with happy people. There’s nothing as bad as having friends who are always complaining about something and never taking time to look at the positive things in life, no matter how small.
- I try and do something nice for those close to me, a phone call, a surprise visit, a small gift, anything to make someone else’s day.
- I continue building a positive parenting relationship with the father of my child. Years ago I had nothing but anger towards him but over the past two years we’ve been getting along quite well. He takes better care of our daughter and I don’t get upset with him at the slightest opportunity. Life is good.
- I try to stay hydrated and mind my own business as much as I can. This has helped me avoid drama and gossip and maintain peace in my life. It has also helped me focus on myself more, you should try it too.
- Most importantly I pray, I put all my burdens and worries to God because if i didn’t do so I know I’d have probably lost my mind from worry by now.
Find out what makes you happy and do exactly that. Start one day a time and before you know it each day will be better than the last. Life is too short; make a list of things you need to do each day and make sure you make happiness an everyday goal!