Happiness doesn’t come easy, it’s an everyday task. From the moment you wake up to the moment you lay your head down to rest you have to choose to be happy. I’ve tried for so many years to get happiness from other people not knowing that if those people left they would take their happiness with them. Then there was trying to get fulfillment from material things. I think trying to find happiness in material things is the worst kind of disappointment. Imagine spending so much money on a gadget hoping it will miraculously change your life and make you feel happy only for it to be just that, a new gadget in your life and less money in the bank for you; so much for that!
Years later, happiness comes to me naturally. Of course I have my bad days, I am only human after all and on a scale of 1-10 I am right there on 8. So here’s a list of some of the things I do to keep the good aura going in my life.
- I speak to my daughter over the phone every single day. Hearing from her makes a good start to my morning and I tell her how much I love her each day.
- Mondays used to be the worst but now I get up wear my favourite outfit and show up for work all glamourous. Bright colours on a Monday do the trick for me and I just breeze through the day with ease.
- I exercise 4 to 5 times a week, the feel good hormones I get from that are priceless. I can face my day with positive vibes.
- I dance myself silly when a song I like appears on my playlist, (when I am at home of course) we can’t be getting our groove on during working hours now can we…
- I listen to all genres of music, at work, at home, when I work out, music is definitely good for my soul.
- I go out with my friends occasionally and party on, you know what they say, all work and no play.
- I blog, my new found hobby, I thoroughly enjoy it and I bump into interesting reads every day. It is a different and educative hobby, I still don’t know why I didn’t start on it earlier.
- I make sure I smile and be very helpful at work no matter how my day is going, I make it a point that everyone I assist leaves our office with good things to say about our company and me obviously!
- When a client gives me a hard time at work, I tell myself they probably have their own personal issues that they are going through and don’t take it to heart.
- I surround myself with happy people, there is nothing as bad as having friends who are always complaining about something and never taking time to look at the positive things in life, no matter how small.
- I try and do something nice for those close to me, a phonecall, a surprise visit, a small gift, anything to make someone else’s day.
- I don’t let the father of my daughter steal my joy when we disagree on something, I just breathe in and out and say forgive him for he does not know any better (attempt to pray for him instead of the other insane options going through my head) and my day goes on.
- I try to mind my own business as much as I can that way drama and gossip are not a part of my life for the sake of peace.
- And most importantly I pray, I put all my burdens and worries to God because if i didn’t do so I know I would have probably lost my mind from worry by now.
Find out what makes you happy and do exactly that. Start one day a time and before you know it each day will be better than the last. Life is too short; make a list of things you need to do each day and make sure you make happiness an everyday goal!