There is one main thing you can do when you have a break from work and that is rest. I know a lot of people managed to do that yesterday but for some of us who can never get enough of exercise it was a chance to meet up with like minded people and get some activities going. The start time was 9:00 am and that gave everyone enough time to get ready and possibly add an extra hour of sleep. I had done an 8K run before the event so there was no way I was going to go for a run so instead I watched over our bags while everyone went for a short 2K run.
The agenda for the day was to complete the entire alphabet as a group for the Spell Your Name Challenge. We really should have had someone take a video of this because the various forms people ended up doing were hilarious. It looks easy to do on paper but a different story when you actually have to do it. That’s the beauty of doing things in a group, you get to learn and unlearn things. I for one learnt that you can combine your burpees with mountain climbers and feel like death after wards (in a good way).
We ended up substituting burpees with skipping and speed runs because we were no longer doing them in the proper form. It was a lot of fun either way because we got to challenge our bodies in ways we never knew were possible.
I would like to personally thank everyone who came through yesterday:
- Onai : May I one day be able to do star jumps like that without wanting to pass out.
- Thembi : Even though the challenge was not easy you kept your good form for all the workouts.
- Jeff : Who knew you could combine burpees with mountain climbers, shout out to you for teaching us this trick!
- Archie : You had a cold but that did not stop you from coming through for the event ; you even added dabbing to the regular jumping jacks and played basketball after the main agenda of the day.
- Samantha : The energy you have is out of this world, you should seriously consider being a sprinter.
- Kundi : You managed to run even though it is not your favourite form of exercise.
- Dumi : You arrived a little later than everyone else but you managed to join us and still play basketball afterwards.
- Memory : That push up variation was not something we expected after an hour of exercise but we loved it all the same. You still went on to play for your team at your netball match.
- Chenge : Girl those squat pulses you taught us are definitely going on my to-do-list. I hope this means my tush will grow at a faster rate because they are definitely something.
It was a great day filled with great vibes. The beautiful thing about this experience is that the ones who love fitness will stay coming through without need for a push. I can only write about fitness and tell you all about it but if you actually don’t get up and do the work you will never get results. At the end of the day this is all on you.
Do you have Fitness In The Park Events in your community? If yes, what is the experience like?