Coming up with an attention grabbing blog title is often the reason why I sometimes get stuck. You know the sort of titles that make you want to click and read more of what the writer wants to share? I’m that writer who without a title can’t get herself to unleash the creativity within me. Please tell me I’m not the only one who experiences this? One of the few bloggers who’s work I truly admire does a brilliant job of coming up with compelling blog titles. He took some time out of his busy schedule to share these tips with me.
1. Title – The titles to your posts are just as important as what’s in them. You need to put thought into your titles, by making them both informative as to what’s in the post but also inviting to the reader.
2. Mind your language – As writers, we have a tendency of repeating certain phrases in our work. You need to be on the lookout for this. One word often abused is very. However, it’s simple to replace it with other terms, for example very old can be ancient, very noisy – deafening, very often – frequently and so on.
3. Subjects – Target the subjects everyone is afraid to talk about as much as it might feel uncomfortable. Everyone is always looking out for unique points of view and things that challenge them. A great example is Chronicles of Depression
4. Connect – Make your readers feel like they’re part of what you’re sharing. This can be done by simple changes in the terms you use to write, instead of I or me you can utilise you, we and us more often to keep your readers captivated and involved.
5. Lists – When it comes to catchy blog posts, lists are your friends and something almost everyone is interested in. Top 10 reasons a walk is good for you, the 5 best ways to drink alone, how drinking more can improve your mood etc. Incorporate one of these ever so often in your blog posts.
My favourite posts of all time by Tee that you should check out are;
You can connect with Tee on;
Blog Indaba The Meeting Place Community is hosting a creative crush this and every Wednesday. You will never run out of a good read from here on.
Do you have any additional tips and tricks to share to come up with a creative blog title that will hook your readers? I’d love to hear from you.