An open relationship according to Walter is this; from a more practical perspective that is:
- You explicitly state what you want in the relationship from day one in this case it’s sex and fun; though fun is relative.
- It should be clear that prospects of a future together is non-existent.
- Each party is free to see whoever they please besides you without repercussions.
- Each individuals independence is important in ensuring the sustainability of such a responsibility.
- This type of relationships is typically based on Mr and Miss Right “Now”.
I would like to believe that everything has it’s pros and cons and open relationships are no exception.
- Transparency. The pair that gets into an open relationship knows exactly what they are setting themselves up for.
- There is room to meet someone else even though you are technically seeing someone else.
- You get to enjoy the best of both worlds. We all have different needs and if one person isn’t meeting them then the next person certainly will. You certainly can’t rely on one person to fulfill them all.
- You will have a great sex life! We all know that you can’t always be in the mood for sex and sex drives for couples are different but if you don’t have to rely on one person to fulfill your sexual needs you’re in for one sexually charged experimental journey.
- There will always be some sense of adventure going on in your life. Boredom will definitely be a thing of the past.
- Disease and pregnancy will be one of the many things that you will have to worry about because you won’t know if your partner is protecting themselves when they hook up with someone else. I don’t even want to imagine the stress that might come with falling pregnant with someone you only wanted to have a good time with. Hello depression!
- Chances of getting emotionally attached to your open relationship partner are highly likely and that will put some strain on the relationship. Expect jealousy to creep in at some point.
- Time management will be hectic. You can’t be everywhere at once and having more than one partner will mean having to let down one of them at some point.
- With time one or both parties will start developing hidden expectations and that right there will be the death of all the fun.
In my opinion an open relationship might work best if you’re both attached to someone else, that way you will play it safe because you both have something to lose. If you plan on trying this out try it at your own risk!
Cheating is easy but staying faithful is hard! What do you choose?