Your first date has to be one of the most nerve wrecking experiences when you are getting to know someone. It’s all fun and games when you are messaging each other and talking over the phone here and there; but when it comes to the big day of the first date you need to get yourself in check incase your first date might end up being your last date. You know I always have the hook up when it comes to all things juicy, so have a look-see below and read on tips on how not to mess up a first date from me and my good friend Tomukudza(Man Crush Everyday! He is always dressed to the nines you should totally check out his profile).
- Be different. Be bold! Us women are tired of dinner dates, it’s 2017, so many exciting opportunities are out there to spend some one on one time together. Nothing against dinner if that’s your kind of thing but at least try to think outside the box, you want your first date to make a lasting impression.
- Plan ahead. You have obviously been talking about where you will probably go for your first date. Make sure you go there beforehand and find out a few things about the place. For example, if you have decided to go for a coffee date when you get there find out what’s on the menu, how much the food costs, the payment methods available, where the bathroom is, best time to come through. Basically do your homework so that when you get there with your date you look organised and confident. That’s already a plus for you!
- Dress to impress. Okay fine, not like you are going for some photo shoot of sort but look decent, iron your clothes, make sure they are clean, cut your nails, clean your shoes. Just don’t show up looking like you just got out of bed.
- Be on time. Nothing as unattractive as a guy who can’t keep time. If anything happens to delay you please have the decency to call and let your date know you are running late.
- Talk about how much money you have, how many cars you own, how many businesses you run. That is a sure way to lose a woman’s interest. Are you trying to buy my love?
- Get off the phone. Even though we live in a digitally active time when you are on a date, especially your first date it’s very important that you don’t fiddle with your phone and not pay attention to your date. It’s best to put it on silent and pack it away in your pocket. You can thank me later.
Dear Ladies; (Tomukudza)
- Say something…no one wants to make time for someone who doesn’t talk. The idea is to have conversation and you should make sure you take part in it. A guy might be put off if he’s the only one doing all the talking.
- A woman who asks for money on a first date. Like please, that’s a total No No. You don’t want a guy going back home preoccupied about whether he’s getting himself a partner or a dependent.
- Don’t make everything about yourself. Have time to talk. Have time to listen. Like actually listen. The small things matter. Just as you expect a guy to take things you say about yourself seriously; also take time to hear what he says about himself seriously. If he says he loves football he means it. Don’t ridicule it because you can’t relate.
- Let there be no disconnect between the impression you have given of yourself via messaging and what you actually turn out to be. If a guy is expecting Sarah and what he meets turns out to be Rudo you may never see him again😂 Let me emphasise on this…Make up and filters. Don’t send him Beyonce like pictures and turn out to be…not so Beyonce.
- Don’t pretend to be someone you are not, it will cost you in the long run. For example, before you meet you’re say “I love the outdoors or I like this type of food trying to live up to certain standards and turn out not to actually enjoy those things and not be the person you said you were.
- Please smell nice. Bad breath. Bad smells. A BIG NO. Shave your armpits if you’re going to be wearing something revealing. This is why it’s important to be on time. You don’t want to arrive all sweaty and breathless.
There you have it, the 12 tips that will definitely help you not to mess up your first date! Whatever you do make sure you have fun, after all you are trying to get to know each other. That means the TWO of you. Not your brothers, sisters, aunts, don’t bring anyone else other than yourself on your first date!
The #30DayAfriBlogger Challenge continues and you can check out some of today’s posts from the African Bloggers taking part:
- How NOT TO be that person by Quarter Wife
- How NOT TO Be A Loser In Life by Faith Panashe
- How NOT TO Get Trapped In The Water Closet by Beaton
- How NOT TO text Thembi Terry by Thembi Thery
Any tips to share? Any fun stories to tell about your first date experiences? Let’s talk about it in the comments section.