I come from a generation that used to not have social media. Right now everything goes by so fast if you aren’t careful you will miss out on a lot of things. It’s not a bad thing to have information at your fingertips but nothing beats the good old times. This morning during my run I couldn’t help but think of all the things that used to be cool before social media and here’s my list.
- Calling each other on the landline. If your family setup was anything like mine the moment the phone rang everyone rushed to try and pick up because we were all expecting a phone call. My dad used to give boys who would call a really hard time! I remember the one boy was told to wait till I finished High School before he could even think about calling me again.
- Recording music. This is round about the time when audio cassettes were a big deal. The DJs used to kill our vibe though, here you are trying to be the cool kid with a flawless collection of mix tapes and the DJ starts talking right in the middle of your recording!
- Calling a taxi. You had to know someone who knows someone to finally get yourself one. Then there was a time there was probably one taxi service provider and you called their landline and wait on them to come and pick you up. That was a whole different life I tell you! Now there’s taxis everywhere you turn and Uber in some countries!
- Keeping time. If you had a date at 2pm trust that the next person would be there at the exact same time. If they were delayed you would wait for at most an hour because there was no other way of getting in touch with them to know how far along they were. These days people keep sending messages or calling every other minute for an update it’s crazy!
- Dating. These men used to go all out. They would express themselves, take you on well thought out outings, open doors and shit but alas, times have changed!
- Autobooks. I remember getting into trouble for owning one of these in High School. Each time I think about it my heart bleeds, it was the most beautiful book I had created and all my friends had signed in and then it got confiscated!
- Watching TV as a family. Back then there was only ONE TV channel so everyone watched the same thing. Who remembers the character who used to say “Laura my sweet potato.” ?
- Family photographs. The whole town had one photographer and you had to make an appointment to have him to a house visit. On the day everyone had to take a bath, have vaseline blue seal smeared on their faces to look fresh and wear their best outfit.
- Reading books. I remember going through the entire Enid Blyton series during my primary school days. I loved and still love to read but lately most things are digital. I’m really old school, I want to read a book and touch, feel and smell it, am I weird? Maybe I am but I love it that way. Oh yes, and going to the library was something we looked forward to doing but now Google has all the answers, yawn!
- Writing letters. Expressing yourself and actually having feelings and emotions was not a crime. I still have letters from my very first boyfriend. That boy used to write the most heart warming letters. The whole process of buying stamps, envelopes, writing pads and then adding a dash of fragrance to the letter before posting it off was a thrilling adventure.
*Bonus point* PRIVACY! People kept their relationships and their business to themselves. Fast forward to 2018 there’s no more room for mystery because almost everyone let’s you in on what they are doing with their life.
I know some of the pictures below will take you back in time.
What are some of the things that you used to enjoy before social media took over? I know these can’t be the only cool things from way back when. I would love to hear from you.