When are you getting married?
The next person who asks me when I am getting married is going to get stone cold silence from me. I swear I get asked this question at least once a week and it annoys the heck out of me! What is wrong with people? Can’t a woman just enjoy her life without always being asked about her marital status update? You would think trying to explain why you are not married yet will stop people from asking but no, you’re wrong, they keep coming back to ask you the same damn thing every single time. What about asking me how I am doing, how my dreams and aspirations are going, something, anything, just not about marriage. You know what amuses me the most? The fact that people think that husbands are found in supermarkets. Like you just waltz into Pick n Pay, go through the “Husband shelf” and voila, you have yourself a husband! Or maybe there’s a dial-a-husband application that I’m not aware of that delivers husbands to your doorstep? It doesn’t work like that people, this sh*t is complicated.
While we’re on the marriage subject I just want to say congratulations to my favourite couple above whose pictures I can’t help but use each time I write about all things lovey dovey. They got married recently and I am absolutely happy for them and yes they are responsible for the beautiful images in today’s post.
Back to the subject at hand. I for one have mixed feelings when it comes to marriage. One moment I am super anti marriage telling myself I don’t need anyone I have been doing this life thing on my own for all these years why in the world would I need someone to come and turn my perfectly defined life upside down? Then some days I’m thinking am I really going to die alone Oh My Goodness who will take care of me? If I’m very honest with myself though I think marriage would be a great idea provided I meet the right candidate.
Don’t get me wrong, there are a lot of men out there but how many of them are the right match for me? Marriage is a lifetime decision and if I’m going to choose that path it is going to be with someone who will want the same thing. I’m a mother and this whole let’s date for fun and see how it goes thing doesn’t cut it for me. I have another human being to consider and if I choose to get married the person in question will play a very important role in my daughter’s life. Which begs the question, how many men out there are willing to date and marry a woman who already has a child in tow? Let me see, probably 5 in the whole wide world. Let’s laugh together shall we? Like I said it’s complicated!
To everyone who keeps asking me when I’m getting married please take a seat. As and when the time is right it shall happen. You won’t hear the end of it, you will deactivate your social media accounts, I will be telling you about “my husband” at every given opportunity and we will be inseparable it will make you sick to your stomach. We will love each other fearlessly and spend the rest of our natural lives together because once we get married there is no turning back, we will be in it for life. For now allow me to take my time and wait for my King to come and collect his Queen who is working on becoming a better person one day at a time.
I remember having a conversation about relationships with Shingi not so long ago. She shared some tips on what has worked for her relationship in the past 3 years. We were meant to write up a thread on Twitter but we never got time to do so. Today is your lucky day because I have the tips right here with me;
1. Don’t just get into a relationship, know what you want out of a relationship.
2. Get to know him or her first. This is where long distance relationships are a plus. They allow you to know a person a bit before you meet. I’m not saying all long distance relationships work out but some have.
3. Friendship is important, that’s something that keeps things going in seasons when romantic feels face a storm.
4. Sharing the same belief is critical as it lays a foundation in your relationship.
5. Know how to SHOW him how you feel without saying it and he should also know how to SHOW you too. Emphasis on Love language!
6. Meaningful relationships are not secretive and should not be a secret. Meaningful relationships have witnesses and that is why people invite guests to witness their marriage.
7. A relationship that is long term will involve friends & family. Know this!
8. Believe in each other and learn to function as a team. Bonds grow stronger when you face challenges together.
9. Share a vision (exactly what you want, put it out there). This sets direction on how to build a life together. Cementing the foundation.
10. Talk to each other, it might sound funny but must couple can’t they talk over each other. Communication is key. 🔑🔑🔑
*Disclaimer* Each couple is responsible for their own relationship’s success and those tips might not work for everyone.
I have written about my thoughts on marriage in the past and some of the posts have been controversial as always.
What is that ONE question that people keep asking you that pisses you off? Let’s talk about it in the comments section.